This salad was inspired by the Summer Kale salad from Whole Foods. The sweetness of dried apple slices and cranberries tames the boldness of curly leaf kale & thinly-sliced red onion. The orange balsamic dressing has just a kick of heat. As with all raw kale salads the key is massaging the dressing into the kale with with your hands and then allowing it to marinate into the kale for AT LEAST THREE hours before serving. It’s even better the next day.
APPLE CRANBERRY KALE SALAD WITH A KICK
- 1 bunch ( approx.7 stalks) of curly kale; ribs removed & chopped. I use kitchen scissors to both cut the kale leaf from the rib, then chop the leaf into bite-sized pieces.
- 1/3 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 3 C dried cranberries
- 1 C dried granny smith apple slices, break into smaller pieces if large.
- 3 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS orange juice
- 1 TBS honey
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 shallot, diced OR 1 tsp. dried shallots
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- pinch crushed red pepper, or to taste
- ¼ tsp of kosher salt, or to taste
- pinch of freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Place the kale, onion, dried apples, and dried cranberries into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad.
- Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale, squeezing slightly to tenderize the kale and get the dressing into every part of the kale leaves for at least one minute. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 3 hours so the kale and dried fruits have a chance to soak up the dressing.
- If the salad seems dry, add a bit more orange juice or balsamic or both.
- Check for seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Serve chilled.