As I was massaging this kale last night I thought what a shame it is that 20 years ago kale was only ever used as a garnish to make a plate look pretty. Usually it had a thin orange half-moon twisted into an s-shape sitting on top of a single curly kale leaf that sat next to your chicken piccata. Everyone just picked it off their plate and threw it away.
So now we’ve all fallen in love with kale and if you’ve tried making salads with it you know that you must get down and dirty with it and massage your dressing into it with your hands – like squeezing it into your fists until it turns a bright green. Then you let it sit for a bit so that the dressing can tenderize those tough leaves. In fact day-old leftover kale salad is often better than fresh, don’t you think?
I threw in cubed jicama; (pronounced hick-a-ma) which you can get at Whole Foods in the produce section – it comes packed with lime.
Jicama has almost no taste; it’s just light and crunchy – like celery without the strings. If you don’t have jicama then throw in any other crunchy substitute like chopped endive, celery, or bell peppers. If you like it a bit more sweet; add some dried cranberries. I added some chick peas for fiber and protein, but also because crunchy and ‘chick’ just go together. Amping up whole ‘crunchy chick’ theme are the hemp seeds; and yes you really need to get some. Hemp seeds are packed with protein and fiber and have a nutty, subtly sweet taste and impart another layer of crunch. i put them on top of yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, and add them to my granola.
Try this really easy Crunchy Chick Kale Salad this weekend. It will last you until Sunday or feed a big crowd at your house. It also travels well for that picnic lunch you thought about doing when the weather got warmer…
CRUNCHY CHICK KALE SALAD
- 8-10 leaves curly kale
- ¼ small purple cabbage; shredded
- 2 C cubed jicama, or chopped endive, or chopped bell pepper
- ? C hemp seeds
- ½ C garbanzo beans. (if canned, rinse)
- 1-2 handfuls dried cranberries (optional)
- ½ C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS champagne vinegar
- 1 TBS dijon
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- juice of one lemon
- big pinch of kosher salt
- big pinch of black pepper
- small squeeze of honey @ 1-2 TBS to taste
- Wash and dry kale. Strip the kale leaves from the tough stems and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Add cabbage and jicama.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together until emulsified. Taste for seasonings and sweetness & adjust if necessary.
- Pour dressing over kale mixture and massage well into kale until kale becomes brighter green and dressing is well coated into kale.
- Add garbanzo beans, cranberries (if using) and half the hemp seeds.Toss together lightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining hemp seeds over the top of the salad and serve.
[bctt tweet=”Try this really easy Crunchy Chick #Kale #Salad this weekend. #healthy #recipes #nomnom”]