The “Famous Recipe’ series is a carefully curated collection of out-of-this-world recipes that elevate a dish to legendary status, and are perfectly appropriate to particular situations. The Famous Salmon Recipe was the first followed by Healthy three-ingredient Protein Pancakes, and the Famous Broccoli Salad.
Famous Bean Salad:
- This bean salad is different because it’s got a cumin and vinegar kick.
- No cooking involved!
- The longer it marinates, the better it gets.
- Like the other ‘Famous’ recipes here on Big Girl Life, people freak out when they taste it.
- Bring this colorful bean salad as a side dish to any dinner or potluck for a healthy dish that goes with everything and won’t easily spoil.
- It’s incredibly HEALTHY: vegan, organic, dairy-free, & gluten-free.
- Make it on Sunday and eat it all week long.
- 2 cans organic black beans
- 2 can organic black-eyed peas
- 1 can of chopped green chilies (optional - in Mexican food section of grocery)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 4 spring onions, sliced thinly
- ½ C Tarragon or Champagne Vinegar
- 1 T. Grey Poupon dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 t. freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1&1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Add peppers, celery, and onions to beans and pour marinade over top. Mix well. Let stand, refrigerated for at least three hours for flavors to combine.
This recipe is adapted from the one that my dear friend, Carolann shared with me years ago. My adaptation uses more citrus and organic beans. You can leave out the chilies/jalapeños to make it kid-friendly, or add more some if you like your bean salad spicier.
“Beans, beans, good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart.”
Sign up for the Big Girl Life weekly newsletter HERE so you don’t miss out.