Famous Florida Shrimp Salad Recipe
The “Famous Recipe’ series is a carefully curated collection of out-of-this-world recipes that elevate a dish to legendary status, and are perfectly appropriate to particular situations. Besides being delicious, Famous Florida Shrimp Salad supports your healthy eating habits — high in protein, with almost no carbs and zero added sugar. It’s as elegant to serve on New Year’s Eve as it is in your weekday lunch.
Enjoying the Famous Recipes? Sign up for the Big Girl Life weekly newsletter HERE so you don’t miss out on more Famous Recipes coming up in 2013.
Why you Need This Recipe:
- It tastes insanely good.
- No cooking involved; unless you want to save $ and steam your own shrimp.
- It calls for ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- ZERO carbs, ZERO sugar.
- Healthy & gluten-free.
- Everyone loves shrimp, don’t they?
- Keep on hand to snack on when you get hungry for a snack or add to fresh greens and make a salad out of it.
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 lbs. medium or large frozen cooked shelled shrimp. (I prefer Florida Key West Pink Shrimp.)
- ¼ C finely chopped shallots
- ¼ c chopped fresh parsley, basil, or dill or a combination of all three. Experiment to find what you like.
- ¼ C tarragon vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ C Dijon mustard
- dash of crushed red pepper
- Defrost and drain the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl combine shallots, herbs, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, dijon, red pepper, black pepper & salt with a whisk.
- Add shrimp and mix well.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate at least two hours to allow the shrimp to marinate.
- To serve, drain shrimp and place in a serving bowl.
Bring enough water to cover the shrimp to a boil in a saucepan.
Add 1 tsp. salt to the water, and then add shrimp.
Cook until shrimp turn pink.
Drain and peel shrimp.
Place warm shrimp in a ziplock bag and add marinade. Chill as directed.
Other Famous Recipes on Big Girl Life:
- Healthy Three-Ingredient Protein Pancakes
- Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Soup
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Famous Salmon
This recipe is a variation on my friend Rachel C’s Killer Shrimp recipe she shared with me years ago. Thank-you Rachel for reciting this recipe to me over the phone (several times) while I was at Publix; panicked about what to bring to a potluck. Famous Florida Shrimp Salad (& Rachel) have saved my ass countless times when I needed something easy, elegant & delicious to bring to a party.
— Thank-you Rachel! ox