HEALTHY ALMOND GOJI BERRY RICE CRISPY TREATS
I picked up a package of Cranberry Almond Butter Power Chews from Fresh Market a few weeks ago, and they were really yummy. Dense and crunchy, they tasted like a rice crispy treat. BUT, I didn’t like the emulsifiers, additives, and whopping $12.99/pound price tag.
So, I experimented and reinvented them into something even better. I used goji berries instead of cranberries to make them into a super food snack. Goji berries are one of the richest sources of natural antioxidants on Earth. Their chewy texture and slightly sweet taste goes perfectly with the almond butter and crunch of brown crispy rice cereal. I made them a bit less like a brownie and more like a rice crispy treat, where you heat up the gooey stuff and then add the (brown) rice, press into pan and you’re done. Here’s why they rock:
- No added sugar
- No bake
- 15 minutes start to finish
- Smart healthy snack that kids and adults both love
- Made with goji berries and almond butter, both healthy power foods.
These are perfect for the 3 p.m. munchies, or as a to-go snack. Let me know how you like them.
Happy & healthy snacking! ox Heather
Healthy Almond Goji Berry Rice Crispy Treats
Click here to print.
Yield: 12-2×3” squares or 24-1×2” squares
- Canola or coconut oil cooking spray
- 1/2 C chunky almond butter
- 1/2 C brown rice syrup
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBS coconut oil (refined or unrefined is ok)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ C goji berries
- 3.5 cups Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
1. Spray an 8 inch by 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, almond butter, and salt. Stir well until combined and heated through.
3. Mix in the goji berries (be sure they are not stuck together) until well combined. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
4. Add the 3.5 cups of brown rice cereal to the pot and mix together until thoroughly combined.
5. Scoop mixture into baking pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers or use a flat-bottomed measuring cup to compact evenly into pan.
6. Cut into squares. Stores well at room temperature, but fridge is ok, too.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of theirs vs. mine. Which looks better to you? 🙂
Bookmark this article: www.heatherserody.com/healthy-almond-goji-berry-rice-crispy-treats
Images copyright © 2014 Heather Serody All rights reserved.