The policial climate on Facebook has been gnarly since the inauguration. It’s sort of out of control, but there is a way to feel much, much better about it. Instantly.
How to feel better about the political climate on Facebook
Have you noticed there tend to be three perspectives on Facebook:
- Some are deeply offended & outraged about the new administration’s actions.
- Some are frustrated and exasperated that the first group continues to be deeply offended and outraged.
- Some are deeply distressed that the first two groups are fighting among themselves about whether or not to be upset.
It’s kind of a fascinating shit show.
There actually is nothing inherently wrong with the shit show happening on Facebook, though, unless you’d like to feel differently. If you do, then I’ll tell you the secret to feeling better – instantly. First, you must understand that other people’s actions are never responsible for how you feel.
Paradoxically, that’s the best news, ever.
Because no one has that kind of power over you. What a relief. The hard part is taking radical responsibility for the truth – which is that you are always in control of how you feel. It is our thoughts that we think about our reality that determines how we feel.
Our thoughts don’t think us, we think our thoughts.
It is this ability to deliberately choose what and how we want to think about our circumstances that give us unlimited power and control over our lives and how we feel about it, including the shit show happening on Facebook.
This is your secret power, your secret sauce, your Jedi mind trick, sweet pea. Are you using it?
If political bickering on Facebook makes you uncomfortable, it is because you are thinking thoughts about the bickering that make you feel uncomfortable.
- If our new President’s actions leave you feeling outraged, it is because you are thinking thoughts about his actions that leave you outraged.
- If you feel angry and frustrated that liberals can’t just let it go and support their new president, it is because you are thinking thoughts about those liberals that leave you feeling angry and frustrated.
- If you feel distressed about your Facebook friends’ politics on Facebook, it is because you are thinking thoughts that are making you feel distressed.
And all of that is just fine – unless you are tired of feeling outraged, angry, frustrated, or distressed and you want to feel differently.
If you want to feel better, then try thinking another thought that makes you feel better, but never give someone else credit for how you feel about your life or the actions that you take because of how you feel.
The key is to catch the thought you are thinking right before you feel like crap. Grab it, look at it, examine it, and ask yourself, is this thought serving me? If not try another one.
You get to choose.
Never give someone else credit for how you feel about your life or the actions that you take because of how you feel. Choose your thoughts carefully and deliberately. Craft your life using the power of thought consciousness and discernment and feel your life on purpose. I’ve found Facebook to be a lot more enjoyable and interesting that way.