mediterranean orzo salad
This salad is a combination of the best warm mediterranean flavors: spinach, lemon, cucumber, tomatoes, dill, and sheep’s milk feta cheese. Don’t even tell me that you haven’t tried sheep’s milk feta! It will change your life. There’s something magical that happens when this light and briny feta meets the tart sweetness of ripe cherry tomatoes. I think you’re going to love it.
simple one-bowl prep
Pick up some pre-cooked chicken and your pasta of choice. If you’re avoiding gluten, then just substitute your favorite gluten-free pasta. Trader Joe’s brown rice fusilli in the blue bag, is a really yummy gluten free option, by the way.
While your pasta cooks, chop your veg and shred the chicken. Whisk up the dressing in the bottom of a large shallow serving bowl first. Then just layer layer in the spinach and pile the hot pasta on top to wilt it. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and you’ve got an instant one-bowl meal and plenty of leftovers to eat all week long for lunch.
Omitting the chicken to makes it vegan. Tastes delicious hot or cold. Win-win.
- zest of one lemon
- juice of two lemons
- 3 TBS EVOO
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely mined
- 1 TBS honey
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 C shredded skinless boneless chicken breast
- ½ english cucumber, diced
- 1 C organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ C green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried dill, or 2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
- ½ C crumbled sheep's milk feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large shallow serving bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Place spinach on top of dressing.
- Drain pasta, then pour pasta on top of spinach & dressing. Add the rest of the ingredients & mix gently to combine.
- Taste for seasoning & adjust if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
- Keep covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Let me know how you find it.