Soaking your oats in milk or water overnight in the fridge softens the oats enough that you don’t really have to cook them (no pot to cleanup) – in the morning all you have to do is just warm them in the microwave. It’s so easy to do. You just put everything into a plastic storage container with a tight-fitting lid, cover, shake and set it in the fridge overnight.
Last night I tried this pumpkin spiced combination with chia, canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice, maple syrup, and added two scoops of my favorite all-natural vegan protein powder to give it even more awesomeness. It’s optional, though. If you want to leave it out, you may want to add just a bit more maple syrup since the protein powder imparts some natural sweetness.
When I sat my steaming bowl of overnight oats down next to this week’s New York Times magazine cover of Donald Trump I was struck by the parallels – my oatmeal and Donald Trump – two seasonal pumpkin spice sensations – hijacking the Fall with their irresistible spiciness. Love them or hate them they’re here for the season. I’ll leave the political discussion at that for the analogy win.
PUMPKIN SPICE PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS
- 2½ C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 C rolled oats (not instant or steel cut)
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 2 TBS Vanilla Perfect Fit Protein (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 TBS canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 TBS real maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover and shake well to mix everything together.
- Store in refridgerator overnight to soften.
- No cooking necessary. Microwave just to reheat.
- Serve with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.
[bctt tweet=” @realDonaldTrump & my oatmeal both hijacking #Fall with irresistible #pumpkin spiciness. #foodie #recipe”]
image © Heather Serody 2015