My obsession with popcorn began in High School when I’d eat a bag of artificially flavored powdered-cheddar-laden SmartFood every single day at lunch in the cafeteria. Today I snack on healthier Angie’s sea salt Boom Chicka Pop or on weekend movie nights I’ll go old school and pop organic corn kernels in the stock pot; which is actually so easy and cheap to do – just get yourself a pot with a glass lid. My kids love to watch the magical transformation happen in the pot and nothing smells as good as real popcorn popping; am I right?
My guilty but much healthier pleasure these days is pouring on a mixture of smoked paprika, maple syrup, cayenne, and sea salt for a smokey spicy sweet & savory treat – perfect for that special movie night at home. Feel free to experiment with other flavorings and combinations and discover your own favorite combination.
smokey cayenne maple popcorn
- 1 TBS refined coconut oil
- heaping ½ C organic popcorn kernels
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1-3 dashes of cayenne pepper
- Add coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels to large saucepan or stock pot set on medium high heat. Preferably use a pot with a glass lid so you can see when the kernels pop.
- Once the kernels have popped remove them and add the heaping ½ C of popcorn kernels ad cover. Watch closely to see when the kernels are done popping - about 2-3 minutes.
- While the popcorn is popping, combine the maple syrup, paprika and sea salt in a small bowl.
- When the popcorn is done popping, remove the pot from the burner and pour on the maple syrup mixture. I like to use a spider skimmer to mix it in.
- Pour into desired bowl(s) while still hot and add a dash or two of cayenne to taste.
shop the story