This salad is where still-available and yummy summer vegetables, like curly green kale, asparagus, and cabbage – mingle with the flavor stars of Fall; apples, squash, walnuts, and cider. It’s way easier to pull together than it looks thanks to pre-cut shredded purple cabbage and pre-cut cooks-in-it’s-own-bag butternut squash. I got mine at Trader Joe’s.
SUMMER MEETS FALL SALAD
- large bunch of green curly kale
- 1 large honey crisp apple; cored and cubed
- 2 lemons
- ground cinnamon
- 1 – 10 oz. bag of pre-cut cubed butternut squash – I used Columbia River Organics brand – microwaves in bag
- Dijon mustard
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 C apple cider (or apple juice or orange juice)
- Maple syrup
- @ 2 C – a few handfuls – Shredded purple cabbage
- @ 1/2 C chopped walnuts, toasted
- Optional: 1 large bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Preheat over to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with foil. toss asparagus with a little EVOO & season with salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes or until just bright green & tender, but not floppy. Set aside.
- Wash & dry a large bunch of green curly kale, pull it off the stem & rip into bite sized pieces. Place in large salad bowl.
- Toss apple cubes in a small bowl with the juice of one lemon & sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Cook bagged butternut squash in the microwave until tender but not mushy.
- While squash cooks make the Dijon Cider dressing: Whisk together 2 TBS EVOO, juice of one lemon, 1/4 C cider, 2 TBS dijon mustard, pinch of salt & pepper, and 2 TBS maple syrup. Pour over kale & massage it into all of the crevices of the kale squeezing lightly to evenly coat and tenderize the kale.
- Add hot squash to apples & toss. Arrange evenly over kale.
- Add few handfuls of shredded purple cabbage to the kale, along with toasted walnuts (toast in a hot dry pan just until fragrant and browning at the edges – watch carefully as they burn quickly)
- Arrange cooled asparagus on the side of your salad bowl & serve immediately.