Superfood Snack: Cacao Coconut Power Balls
Sticking to a healthy diet is so much easier for me if I know I can have a snack that satisfies my sweet tooth that I can also feel good about eating. These cacao coconut power balls were inspired by my neighbor, Isabelle, who is a fearless experimenter in her kitchen. She brought them over for me to try and I fell in love with them they’re so yummy! She left the recipe writing to me, since she never measures ingredients. (I wish I could cook like that!) I added some protein powder to her original ingredients and came up with a recipe that’s so easy to make.
Thank-you Isabelle for sharing these with me. ox
- 1 Cup pitted Medjool dates (approximately 14)
- ⅓ C all-natural almond butter
- ¼ C honey
- 3 T all natural cacao powder (preferably with maca)
- 1 packet/scoop Perfect Fit Protein (vanilla or chocolate)
- ⅓ C old-fashioned oats
- ½-¾ C unsweetened organic finely shredded coconut
Directions: You’ll need a food processor for best results. Roughly chop dates and transfer to food processor. Combine until dates come together into a ball. Separate the ball of dates, and then add in almond butter, honey, cacao powered, protein powder, and oats. Combine until the mass comes together again into a ball. If it doesn’t, drizzling a little honey into the feeder tube while mixing should bring it together. You should see flecks of oats within the dough. Pour coconut into a shallow dish. Scoop dough and form into balls with your hands. Roll power balls into the shredded coconut.
Makes approximately 21-22 balls. Keeps best in the refrigerator or if you prefer you can freeze them.
Here’s why these cacao coconut power balls are a superfood snack:
- Cacao powder contains phytochemicals, iron, magnesium, and a ton of antioxidants which help your body deal with pollution and other toxins in your environment.
- Maca powder is often paired with cacao powder because it is also a nutrient dense food; believed by Peruvian natives to be the ‘fountain of youth.’
- Almonds are great for your skin because they have tons of natural vitamin E in addition magnesium, phosphorous, zinc (fights colds), folic acid, protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
- Perfect Fit Protein Powder is an organic, vegan, and raw protein powder made from brown rice with 15 grams of high quality protein per scoop.
- Coconut has been shown to kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and even parasites in the body! It also contains medium chain fatty acids that are great for your skin, and contrary to outdated beliefs, coconut can actually lower blood cholesterol because the fat content of coconuts is simply changed into energy in the body, lessening the likelihood of fat buildup in the arteries and heart. (source)