Jugofresh is a local South Florida hotspot for cold-pressed juices, acaí bowls and other super-healthy goodies. A few weeks ago I picked up some of their Spicy Crack trail mix and the flavors blew my mind – it was chewy, spicy, and tangy. I bought it because it’s made with the best superfood on the planet – turmeric; which if you know me at all you know that I’m a little bit obsessed with because of it’s cancer-fighting, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. I’m always trying to find ways to get more turmeric into my diet – I mean we ALL should – it’s THAT good.
So that’s why I shelled out $9.50 for a small bag of this Spicy Crack from Jugofresh. I was hooked, but who can afford to snack at those prices? So I started trying to recreate the recipe at home, but with big girl twist of course.
I make my superfood turmeric mix with black pepper because scientific Studies have shown that up to 2000% more of the beneficial polyphenols in turmeric are taken up into the bloodstream if they are present with the active ingredient in black pepper. So, if you eat turmeric without black pepper your body can’t really get to all of the good stuff. Turmeric and black pepper really are best friends. Always eat them together.
So; back to my turmeric superfood trail mix. It’s a mix of goji berries, diced dried pineapple, chopped coconut strips, rough-chopped raw almonds, and chopped cashews marinated in a mixture of lime zest, lime juice, honey (or coconut nectar), ground turmeric, ground black pepper, and coconut oil. I get all my dried fruits from Trader Joe’s, since they are always fresh and well-priced, with minimal or no sugar added. All your shopping links are below if you don’t have a TJ’s nearby (affiliate).
Just mix everything together and let it sit for an hour or two or until all of that spicy sweet citrus marinade has been soaked into the dried fruit and nuts. Bake it at 300º F for about 15 minutes.
The result is an addictively spicy, citrus-y, chewy and crunchy trail mix of superfoods that tastes like nothing else you’ve ever tried. In fact, I’m sure it will be your new favorite superfood snack.
turmeric superfood trail mix
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of one lime
- 3 TBS raw honey or coconut nectar
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 TBSrefined organic coconut oil, warmed so it's liquified.
- 1 TBS ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients.
- Add the mix ingredients to a medium sized glass bowl and pour marinade over top. Mix well and allow mix to absorb marinade 1-2 hours
- Preheat oven to 300º F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and pour mix on to, spreading it out.
- Bake 10 minutes. Turn mix with spatula and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- mix should be a deep golden brown, but watch that goji berries don't burn. Mix will be sticky.
- Allow to cool. Mix will firm up. Taste for seasonings. If you like it a little spicier dust mix with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper & or more turmeric.
- note: turmeric is bright golden yellow and can stain. Wash up right after eating.
turmeric botanical print by Franz Eugen Köhler, Köhler’s Medizinal-Pflanzen – List of Koehler Images, Public Domain