I am supposed to be with The Captain and kids in the tropical paradise of Grenada right now, but that did not happen. Instead I’m nursing a nasty back injury, unable to make the trip.
What’s a Big Girl to do?
After a slight panic-attack I put my Big Girl pants on and sent my kids off to the airport with a dear friend who got them on the plane as unaccompanied minors on the international flight to Grenada.
Oh my that takes a leap of faith in the universe.
As a result, my mantra has been – when you need time to recuperate you take it. When you cultivate wonderful friends; you let them help. When you’ve traveled enough with your kids; you have to let them show you what they’ve learned. My boys have become seasoned travelers and I’m proud of them. That’s reason enough to heal quickly and hopefully reunite with them sometime next week. They made the trip just fine; heck I’m surprised they didn’t end up in first class. When I get all helicopter-mom about challenges like this one I draw on a favorite quote – and it’s worth sharing here in case you also might need it this summer:
“Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
for they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward, not tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness.
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He also love the bow that is stable. “
Some fun diversions are below if you’re in a browsing mood, but you absolutely must see the You Tube video at the end of this post. “How Animals Eat” gave me a huge laugh – and is a great way to begin your weekend – back pain or not. Have a great one!
Weekend links for 7/19/13
- have you tried the beer of 2013?
- corn on the cob with lime and melted butter
- grilled whole red snapper – so easy!
- grilled fig & peach arugula salad
- no-guilt nachos
- paleo coconut bread
- make your own watercolor map (like above) from your favorite place
- the most misquoted music lyrics of all time
- I’m loving Beck’s new song
- always late because you can’t transition to the next thing? Martha Beck offers solutions.
- What happens when Jerry Seinfeld and Seth Myers have go for coffee in one of his amazing cars: via Cup of Jo
- Photo vacation: visit cuba
- How to make the best Instagram videos ever.
- How animals eat their food; interpreted by humans – video below. (LMAO!)