My husband thinks my chicken soup is magic. Really, he does, it’s so cute.
I make mine without any noodles or rice because they just get soggy and dilute the taste of the chicken. When you feel like you want to do something to comfort someone who is unwell deliver this soup to them. There is something about chicken soup that warms the heart, nourishes the soul, and heals the body.
famous chicken soup
You’ll need a whole organic chicken, fresh carrots & celery, kosher salt and pepper, and dill. You can use dried dill or fresh but whatever you do, don’t skip it since it’s the secret ingredient that balances this delicate soup with an almost fresh and light flavor. Also, measure out the seasonings and added water exactly so that your broth is properly seasoned.
- organic & gluten-free.
- freezes well.
- easy one-pot dinner.
- make this soup keto-friendly by swapping out the carrots for parsnips.
Famous Chicken Soup Recipe
Yield 10 -12 servings or 14 cups
- 1 3&1/2-4 lb. organic whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 cups filtered water
- 4 cups sliced organic carrots (substitute parsnips for a lower-carb option)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 2 cups chopped celery with leaves
- 1&1/2 tsp. dried dill or 1 tsp. fresh
- 30 minutes before cooking, remove chicken from refrigerator to allow to come to room temperature. Remove from wrapping, remove giblets (if included) and rinse with cool water.
- In a large dutch oven or sauce pot over high heat, heat water, salt, pepper, chicken, & onion to slow boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Add carrots (or parsnips).
- Continue cooking until chicken is fork-tender.
- Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool on a cutting board, and add celery and dill to stock.
- As soon as the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut chicken meat from bones into small bite-sized chunks; picking over the carcass. If eating low-carb, high fat, keep the skin on the meat.
- Stir meat back into soup and simmer until celery is tender.
- Check for seasonings and serve hot.