icebox coconut mango cheesecake
This raw vegan ‘cheesecake’ was inspired by @healthhappysister’s passionfruit version. It’s a coconut cashew ‘cheesecake’ complete with a nut crust that tastes even better than traditional graham cracker crust – I kid you not! The crust is pressed into a springform pan, the coconut cashew ‘cheesecake’ is poured over and then it’s topped with a mango pureé and frozen much like frozen key lime pie is. It needs to stay in your freezer until about 20-30 minutes prior to eating to allow it to soften. Since I always seem to have the most jam-packed freezer, and therefore have no room for an entire cake I made 6 little cheesecakes using individual spring form pans. If you don’t want to bother with those, you can still make these in individual ramekins but you’ll have to scoop your cheesecake out and eat it with spoon, since you won’t be able to pop it out of the springform mold. Of course a whole cheesecake is great for a party, too-so make this whichever way works for you!
I was amazed at just how yummy and cheesecake-y this gluten and refined sugar-free, vegan, mock ‘cheesecake’ turned out. Plus there’s the no cooking part; which is always great, but be prepared to wash a sink full of dishes. (It’s totally worth it.) I especially love how this isn’t nearly as heavy as traditional cheesecake, yet tastes rich and dense -a perfect play between naturally sweet filling and the nutty and savory crust. Served semi-frozen, it’s perfect for hot summer evenings in Florida when the mangos are ripe and plentiful. This is a perfect way to wow that someone special for their birthday. Let me know how you find it.
icebox coconut mango 'cheesecake'
Yield 6 -8
this recipe is inspired by @healthhappysisters
- 3/4 C raw almonds
- 3/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 1 TBS unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp. fine grain sea salt
- 3 C soaked raw cashews
- 1/2 C full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 c pure maple syrup
- 1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 C unrefined coconut oil
- juice of one lemon
- 3 C thawed and drained frozen mango or fresh if available
- 1/4 C coconut cream (in baking aisle of Whole Foods or here)
- 2 TBS pure maple syrup
- Pulse all crust ingredients in food processor for about 1 minute. It should stick together when you press it between your fingers. If it's not sticky enough add a few more dates. Press into the bottom of spring form pan(s) or ramekins evenly.
- Blend cheesecake ingredients together in a high speed blender until thick and creamy. Pour on top of crust and set in freezer while making the mango topping.
- Blend mango, creamed coconut, and maple syrup in blender until smooth. Pour mixture on top of cheesecake.
- Freeze whole cake for at least 8 hours. individual ramekins should set in about 3 hours. Remove from freezer 20-30 mins before serving.
Cuisine desserts, lightened up recipes, vegan
shop the story
Kaiser ® Non-stick Mini Springform Pan • $5.57
Set of 4 Small Ramekins • $11.75
Vitamix ® 300 Professional Blender Ruby Red • $479
Kaiser ® Non-stick Springform Pan • $24.95
Cuisinart ® 9-Cup Food Processor • $149