Slightly bitter radicchio and crunchy endive combine to make a wonderfully satisfying crunchy salad base for this crunchy keto autumn salad. If you are paleo feel free to add a nice thinly sliced Honeycrisp apple, too. You can omit if you follow a more carb-restricted keto diet. To that, I added smoky toasted walnuts, crumbled blue cheese, and a wonderfully sweet pumpkin spice dressing that brings all of the fall textures and flavors of this salad together.
The secret to this low-carb spiced dressing is the pumpkin spice syrup with is calorie free and carb free and is made with natural spices. If you don't have it on hand, you can substitute with 1 tsp. of premade pumpkin spices and 1-2 TBS of your favorite low carb sweetener.
crunchy keto autumn salad
Yield 8 servings
For the salad:
.5 pound (about 3-4) Belgian endives, washed & dried
1 small head of purple radicchio, cored & sliced into 1/2" ribbons
1 organic Honeycrisp apple, cored & cut into 1/8" slices
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces
1/2 C blue cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS NuNaturals Nutevia pumpkin spice syrup
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Assemble the salad:
- Slice endive lengthwise, remove core & cut crosswise, about 1/2 inch thick. Place in a low and wide salad bowl. Core the radicchio & slice into 1/2" wide ribbons. Add to the endive and toss lightly with your hands.
- Core the apple and slice very thin (about12-16 slices). Place in a bowl & add lemon juice, tossing lightly so that all of the apple slices are coated. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the apples tossing to coat evenly.
- Heat a medium frypan over medium heat. Add walnuts & cook about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and just starting to brown at the edges. Remove from heat and toss over the salad.
- Sprinkle the blue cheese over the salad evenly.
Make the dressing:
Whisk together the vinegar, pumpkin spice syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Whisk in the oils. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve immediately with the dressing on the side.
To prepare in advance: Prepare all of the ingredients several hours ahead. Keep the apples in the lemon juice until ready to serve. Refrigerate all of the ingredients until ready to assemble the salad.
Courses lunch, dinner, sides
Did you make a recipe?
I’m thrilled you are making one of my recipes! Would you share a photo of it on Instagram and tag me @ThriveInMidlife so I can see it and connect with you? I can’t wait to see how it turns out! ox - Heather
- NuStevia Pumpkin Spice Syrup 16 oz: you can usually find it on Amazon, or buy directly from Nustevia.
All the products I recommend from Amazon can be found on my Amazon Page – click here for convenient one-stop shopping.