I cracked the code for tasty brown butter and sage keto cornbread, which serves as the base for this savory stuffing. If you're not a fan of cornbread stuffing, just leave out the corn extract when making the skillet cornbread and you'll have a regular white bread loaf to cube & toast for the base of this stuffing.
Isn't it nice to have options?
This is a stuffing that doesn't stick together much. If you prefer a sticky stuffing, add twice the egg and a bit more broth to hold it together. If you're not a fan of low carb stuffing, you can substitute your favorite cubed breadcrumbs just as easily, whether they are low carb or not this recipe still comes together beautifully.
I know that a lot of low-carbers do make an exception for Thanksgiving, and this is a judgment-free space, so do what's right for you.
low carb pecan sausage & sage cornbread stuffing
Yield 8-10 servings
- 4 C brown butter sage keto cornbread, torn into 1" cubes (if you tear the cornbread it toasts better, but don't make yourself crazy about it)
- 2 TBS + 1 TBS grass-fed butter
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, dry pan-toasted until fragrant
- 1 lb. ButcherBox grass fed sausage with sage -or- sweet Italian sausage, casings removed.
- 2TBS chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 C finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 C finely chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 C roughly chopped brown mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flatleaf parsley -or- 1 TBS dried
- 1 - 1&1/4 cup organic chicken broth
- 1-2 eggs, beaten (use two if you like your stuffing to stick together)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Grease a 9 x 12 casserole dish with the butter.
- Toast cornbread: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cornbread cubes out evenly. Place cornbread in the oven to toast for approximately 10-20 minutes or until no longer soft, tips are turning brown & cubes are well toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Put sausage meat in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet & cook over medium heat. After a minute or so, add chopped sage and cook, breaking up lumps, until meat is about halfway cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1 TBS butter, onions, celery, mushrooms and garlic to the partially cooked sausage. Cook, stirring until softened and the sausage is cooked through - about 5 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine broth and the egg & whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, add cornbread, cooked sausage mixture, pecans, salt, pepper, & parsley. Mix together with a big spoon until combined. Pour into the greased casserole dish. Pour the broth/egg mixture over the stuffing until it is just dampened, but not swimming in egg/broth mixture. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until heated through & set.
- Uncover stuffing and cook for additional 5-15 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown on top.
Did you make a recipe?
I’m thrilled you are making one of my recipes! Would you share a photo of it on Instagram and tag me @ThriveInMidlife so I can see it and connect with you? I can’t wait to see how it turns out! ox - Heather
macros per serving
(1/8th portion): 284 calories, 21 g fat, 5.5 g carbohydrates, 18.5 g protein, 1 g fiber