I tried to track down this photo source & recipe everywhere. After several hours, the closest I could find is that the photo is credited generally to The Taste of Prague foodie site but it has no recipe attached to it.
So, I took on the challenge and tried to recreate it. This eggplant is obviously roasted or grilled first and then finished with creamy cheese, roasted tomatoes, and thinly sliced leeks. It's quite a simple recipe really! I used buffalo mozzarella because it's so creamy and it pairs well with the delicate sweetness of the fresh figs. If you're eating keto, just omit the figs and replace them with extra roasted blistered tomatoes.
Let me know how you find it.
eggplant fig and mozzarella pizzas
Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your eggplant. Keep an eye on it while and test for doneness.
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large ball of fresh buffalo mozzarella, at room temperature
- small handful of leek, very thinly sliced (light green part only)
- 2-4 fresh California Figs, destemmed and sliced into rounds
- 8-10 roasted cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- Cut the eggplant in half, and then score diagonally, being careful not to cut the skin. Brush lightly with EVOO. Microplane garlic over the top & sprinkle with salt. Place eggplant scored side up on a baking tray and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Eggplant is done baking when it is firm, but not too soft. You want to be able to cut it without it falling apart. Test with a fork for doneness.
- Tear mozzarella into pieces & scatter over the top of the cooked eggplant halves.
- Add figs tomatoes and leeks.
- Turn oven to medium high broil setting & move rack up to the middle position.
- Return to the eggplant to the oven for about 5-10 minutes, watching closely so that it doesn't burn. It's ready when the cheese is melted & slightly bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle the eggplant with a few more drops of EVOO & sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Let me know how you find it!